As extensively covered in the news, a new and aggressive strain of ransomware recently wreaked havoc on organisations around the globe. To assist policyholders with any concerns, the following risk management tips may be of assistance.
CHECKLIST FOR RANSOMWARE PROTECTION
Ask your IT specialists or department to give you assurance on these five points as part of your cyber-security arrangements:
1. Upgrade all obsolete/unsupported systems and ensure all systems have the latest security updates applied.
2. Check data backups or system snapshots to ensure they are very recent and disconnected or air gapped from your network once complete.
3. Ensure email is passed through effective content filters and that all users are made aware not to blindly trust email messages.
4. Regularly review user access permissions to data and restrict them to the absolute minimum needed.
5. Implement two-factor authentication, especially to all remote access and online services.